[Marxism] Some other opponents of the sell-out in Ireland

Philip Ferguson philip.ferguson at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Dec 13 18:16:42 MST 2006

There is an interesting interview with Patricia Campbell in the July-August issue of the Solidarity-aligned magazine, 'Against the Current'.  Patricia is a longtime Irish republican from Tyrone and the president of a new, radical Irish trade union, the Independent Workers Union, which seems to be very similar to the Unite! union in New Zealand.

She is another staunch critic of New Sinn Fein's sell out.  The interview was conducted abut six months ago, during a visit of hers to the United States (unlike NSF who go to the US to meet their new friends in the White House and among the millionaire class, she was in the US building up grassroots workers' links). See the interview with her at:
http://www.solidarity-us.org/node/109

Below is the opening part of the interview:

"THE 'PEACE PROCESSES' currently happening in Ireland as well as in Palestine, I don't call them 'peace' processes - I call them 'political' processes. Sometimes I just turn off the news, because I could write the script. The absence of conflict doesn't mean there is peace - it just means an absence of people being slaughtered.

"This morning, I read that (Sinn Fein president) Gerry Adams is saying it's time for Republicans to join the Northern Ireland police force, which is now called the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI). We call it the 'Continuity RUC' [Royal Ulster Constabulary, the Northern Ireland police force which brutalized Catholic communities for decades - ed.].

"Even though I'm prepared for this it's still a bitter pill to swallow - it's like when someone close to you is dying from cancer and you think you're ready for the ending; but when it happens you're not really ready, the loss is still devastating.

"It feels like that for me with all compromises the Sinn Fein leadership are slowly but surely making. This is the RUC that smashed into our homes, harassed us, tortured us, waged war against us. Now republicans are being encouraged to join the 'new' RUC. If the union I'm helping to build, the IWU, protest on the streets to demand our rights this 'new' police force, including former comrades, if ordered to do so (by central British government) will be battering us off the streets.

"The Palestinians have already had to swallow that bitter pill, they have witnessed the same thing. That's painful, worse than Israel 'putting the boot in.' Sinn Fein insist that current policing is 'political policing', inferring that when they join the police board it won't be political. When is policing not political? When a police force enforces laws they do so at the behest of the state."

The Independent Workers Union is at: http://www.union.ie/

Another staunch opponent of the sell-out is Tommy McKearney, the Ulster (ie nine-county) organiser of the Independent Workers Union.  McKearney was a long-time IRA member who spent many years in jail and several of his siblings who were in the IRA lost their lives during the armed struggle.  Tommy was also on the first hunger strike, in 1980, for 53 days.  As well as being one of the leaders of the IWU, he and a number of other left republicans (including Patricia Campbell) are behind the respected left magazine 'Fourthwrite'.  Tommy's articles on the sell-out (and other topics, including the founding of the IWU) can be found at:
http://www.fourthwrite.ie/tommyindex.html

By the way, in contrast the most prominent union figure in Ireland associated with Sinn Fein is a ratbag called Phil Flynn, a sort of Irish version of Cyril Ramaphosa, except unlike Ramaphose, Flynn never led any mass struggles.  Flynn used his union positions to convert himself into a business consultant and made a small fortune from this and sitting on the boards of various companies, all the while the SF leadership stopped criticism of him from rank and file comrades.  There's a kind of division of labour here: Flynn advocated class collaboration and sell-out in the economic struggle and the New Sinn Fein leaders argue for it on the national question.

No republicans who are actually leading workers' organising and struggles on the ground are, as far as I'm aware, big advocates of the New Sinn Fein betrayal.  The advocates are the place-hunters in the party apparatus.

And here's another principled republican, Dolores Price.  Dolores was in an IRA unit active in Britain in the early 1970s, which got captured.  She and her sister Marion Price had an appalling time in British prisons, including being force-fed while on an agonising hunger strike that lasted 200 days.  Both of them are totally opposed to the betrayal.

She succinctly sums up the current leadership and direction of New Sinn Fein:
"They have moved from a position of Revolution to a grovelling wish to belong to the Establishment and to implement the laws, wishes and instructions of said Establishment."

Full at:
http://www.phoblacht.net/DP011206g.html

And here's the opening part of an interview with her sister, Marion Price, from 2002:

Q: How do you see the lay of the land for Republicans?

A: I think it's very interesting. I felt and still do believe that Sinn Féin will go the whole way. I don't think they have any intentions of going back from this agreement.

As far as Republicanism goes, I wouldn't consider SF of today being republicans, I see SF as being a nationalist party. And that's by choice. For Republicanism I think we had a setback, I believe that it's fragmented. But I think that if we just stop and take stock, we can rebuild the Republican Movement and probably it will be a stronger movement for this, because the people who will be in the Republican Movement will be republicans, not nationalists or militant Catholics.

The full interview is at:
http://www.phoblacht.net/mpinterview.html

It is a quite fascinating interview because Marion outlines very clearly the difference between mere nationalism in Ireland and republicanism and how the Provos are really now just mainstream (ie bourgeois) nationalists and not republicans.  Her interview is a wonderful example of the basic principles of Irish republicanism, as opposed to Catholic Defenderism (and now Surrenderism) and bourgeois Irish nationalism.

She also predicted that the IRA would disarm and welcomed this because, she noted, the only people the Adamsites were using their weapons against now were republicans who opposed their strategy - eg the murder of Real IRA member Joe O'Connor by the Provos - and nationalist youth who the Provos were policing on behalf of the Brits.

Here she is analysing the dishonesty of the Surrenderistas - and presenting a nice alternative to Donal's crap that there was no alternative but to go down this road:

Q: If the Provisional leadership had been honest and said, "We lost, but we can't do better, this is the best that we can get," would that have been acceptable to you?