[Marxism] Quiting Marxism, embracing what?

gregory meyerson gmeyerson at triad.rr.com
Sat Dec 9 06:40:20 MST 2006

haines: this is just false. and I don't think you really believe it!
and it enables joaquin type positions.

bhaskar doesn't fit your description here: he's a marxist philosopher
of science; marxist biologists, to take another example, like lewontin
are not looking just at the limitations of capitalist economic
development.  Alan Gilbert's Democratic Individuality makes detailed
arguments that marxism is about injustice even if marx and especially
engels on occasion spoke in relativist terms about morality.

in your last post, you cited bhaskar's scientific realism and human
emancipation:  one of this this book's central tasks is to undo the
fact/value split as part of making an argument for moral realism in
ethics.  this endeavor becomes more clear in his dialectics book.

the word "reductionist" is of little use because it's used so
imprecisely.  all thought is reductionist. and reduction is built into
good explanations of the natural and social worlds.

if people are going to call marxism reductionist about race, at least
have the courtesy to study the best marxist stuff out there:  say allen
on race and gimenez on gender (there was a science and society issue
recently devoted to these things).