[Marxism] Quiting Marxism, embracing what?

Jesse Jack jjack99645 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 19:52:57 MST 2006

On 12/2/06, Carlos Petroni <cepetroni at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Let me emphazise that my personal position that I rather have comrades
> joining any
>   Left wing Marxist group or organization than none, even bad ones.
>   That's why I don't welcome, as Louis does, Stan's break with an
> organization.  As long
>   one remains committeed to organized revolutionary action, the
> possibilities of
>   reform or creation or a revolutionary party is there.  Once you quit
> disappears.

I have to agree on this point. I can relate to Goff's frustration, as I feel
frustration about the policies and leadership of the organization I'm a
member of on a daily basis. But on the other hand, if I were to quit that
would be one less obstacle in the way of those who I feel are leading the
organization down the wrong path.

It seems to me that the Left in the US has turned the old slogan on its
head: "If you're not part of the problem, you're part of the solution!" This
is completely incorrect. Silence equals consent, and the leaders of the left
who want to water down Marx and Lenin know this. Even in parties and groups
with the most authoritarian, top-down decision making process, it's a lot
easier for the leadership to get their way if they can drive out the
opposition rather than dragging them along kicking and screaming.