[Marxism] Re: Fascist intellectuals?

trusscott.foundation at virgin.net trusscott.foundation at virgin.net
Tue Aug 29 10:15:32 MDT 2006

Charles Brown wrote: < As far as class and cultural leaders, the Crown Prince
of England, and Henry Ford were Hitler and Nazi fans. Ford had a picture
of Hitler on his office wall, sent money to the Nazi Party, published the
alleged-fake Protocols of the Elders of Zion in the Dearborn , Michigan
newspaper. I say old chaps : the guy who was to be King of England was a
Nazi fan. >

Yes, he was. A pal of mine when young overheard his father and uncle, both
very high-ranking officers in the British army, saying that if Britain had
been invaded during the war, he -- meaning the ex-King Edward VIII, then
in exile in the West Indies -- would have been shot. The ex-Edward VIII
was widely expected to have become a puppet ruler had there been a Nazi
regime set up in Britain.

One of the interesting things about fascism in Britain today is that although there
are the usual numbers of would-be führers doing the usual, there is nobody
who could be considered an intellectual amongst them, and hasn't been for
quite some time, unlike the 1930s when some people with undoubted intellectual
ability sided openly with fascism.

When one looks at France (I'm just finishing Sternhell's Neither Left Nor
Right), it is striking that it is -- as far as I can tell -- the only country
in Western Europe in which authoritarian right-wing and fascist movements
have actually attained considerable popularity since 1945. Poujade and Le
Pen are leaders of each type respectively. Gaullism also had a rather thuggish
image in its early days, quite different to mainstream right-wing parties
in other Western European states.

Sternhell points to the numbers of syndicalists who, in the early twentieth century,
shifted from the left to the far right, either before or during the First
World War. However, he doesn't say what he means by syndicalism. Does anyone
have a good definition of what syndicalism meant in France?

Paul F