[Marxism] Fascist intellectuals?

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 08:30:20 MDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Sayan Bhattacharyya writes:
>
> > On 8/26/06, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone notice any mass fascist movements or states around today?
> >
> > The Hindu nationalist right in India may be a good candidate.

> For the BJP to have truly been a fascist party, it would have had to
> establish a one-party state by abolishing the parliamentary political
> system, eliminating democratic rights, and using the RSS and other arms of
> the Sangh Parivar to terrorize the supporters of the Congress and left-wing
> parties, the trade unions, and the Muslim and other civic organizations, all
> of which would have been outlawed and resisting these moves.

I agree that Arundhati Roy's article wasn't very sophisticated. A
somewhat better short article on this is "Is Hindutva  Fascist?" by
Biju Mathew, online at:
<http://www.foil.org/politics/hindutva/hindfasc.html> .

It isn't that there aren't currents in the BJP/Sangh aiming for these
things. They have not succeeded for the time being  because they faced
too much resistance. However, there is a clear danger that they might
try again.

I was thinking, incidentally,  more about the social base of fascism
that you described. To wit:

"While the fascists eventually drew into their ranks trade unionists as they
neared power, their social base rested primarily on those forces which felt
their social weight and influence declining in the new industrial society -
unorganized and unemployed workers and artisans, small town merchants and
professionals, ruined farmers, and the native-born who saw the old economy
and culture slipping away from them, overwhelmed by increasingly
cosmopolitan urban centres comprising "degenerate" immigrants, Jews,
radicals, trade unionists, and modernist artists as well as exploiting
bankers, manufacturers, and retailers."

The Sangh Parivar's social base is almost exactly the same, and  they
are similarly threatened by -- corresponding to the "new industrial
society" that you described -- the forces unleashed by globalization.

You also said:

"The fascist states differed from the "strong" states typically set up by
ruling classes before and since to hold the masses in check in that they
were based on mass movements organized from below"

The Sangh Parivar  in India truly are a mass movement. Actually the
BJP, which is supposedly the political wing of the Sangh, often seems
to ride a tiger, with the BJP's politicians (who are often  beholden
to the beneficiaries of globalization, just as the fascists were to
big capitalists) trying to keep the mass base of the Sangh Parivar in
check.