[Marxism] re: Some comments on Stan Goff's post

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Mon Dec 5 20:50:54 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 22:30 -0500, rrubinelli wrote:
> That's just not so.  Voting Rights Act was passed in 1965.  Struggle
> increased, became more militant throughout the 60s, and recedes under
> the physical attacks of the government, and the defeat of workers
> strikes and actions in the early 1970s.

Well we could just beat this one to death if we wanted to. Yes, their
was ongoing resistance on a number of fronts after the voting issue was
dealt with. There were the Black Panthers, for example.

What I am talking about was the mass participation of the masses of
African-Americans, which broadly speaking was in a declining arc after
1965.

The better off upper sectors were appeased by voting rights. Affirmative
action opened doors to students and workers in many areas.

Then with the end of the Vietnam War, we entered the current period of
imperial decline which up to now has dampened a lot of things, most of
all in the working class where fears of "losing it all" kept most heads
down during the eighties and nineties.

We may be getting closer to "nothing left to lose." I'm looking at the
auto workers for possibilities myself. We shall see.

Jon Flanders