[Marxism] Some doubts from an outsider about theNader-Camejoticket

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jun 26 04:15:22 MDT 2004

There is a big difference between Germany and  the United States re
Nader and the Greens  which Jose did not mention, although it is linked
pretty deeply to the other things he correctly noted.  That is, the
Greens do not emerge by any stretch of the imagination as an alternative
to a working-class politics, even to a failed, fundamentally imperialist
workinhg-class politics such as that represented, at least in part, by
the German SPD.  This is a party  founded (even partially today) on the
workers movement of the German nation.

Of course, this is not to blame those who formed the German Greens
partly in reaction to the SPD, which had proved to be at least as loyal
a servant of imperialism as the British Labor Party or any other. Of
course, the Green in Germany have not escaped this fate.

But noone who knows US politics at all could claim that the Greens have
emerged as an alternative (even a LEFT alternative of sorts) to the
political movement of the working class, or that Nader or the US Greens
are trying to channel motion towards independent working class political
action onto a bourgeois track.  There is no substantial challenge here
today to working class acceptance of direct rule by bourgeois parties,
and the Green Party and Nader arise from the revolt of some liberals and
leftists against the rightward shift of the Democratic party in
circumstances of ongoing economic difficulties. In fact, I believe (I
admit this is an estimate) that an impulse toward working-class
politics is passing through the Greens and especially the Nader
campaign, in a context where no other alternative has anything
resembling wide credibility.

Nader is not preventing independent working class political action in
the United States.  He is not opposing it, although he might if it was a
real possibility. Instead, in my opinion, he has for his own political
reasons provided a channel, an opening for sentiment in that direction
that I believe is taking shape to flow through. In any case, the Nader
campaign is NOT in any sense whatsoever an opposition or an obstacle to
independent working-class political action.  If my guess is right (and
it is a guess), I think the Nader campaign is an episode in a process
that points toward the working class emerging in this country as an
independent political factor.

The talks with Buchanan (whose extreme rightism and fascist sympathies
are not widely understood in today's political context -- it is a
mistake to treat an interview with Buchanan in his magazine as the
equivalent of accepting the support of the Nazis and trying to please
Hitler -- do not change this reality by one iota.
Fred Feldman