[Marxism] Chinese economic growth and global ecology-Chauvinist slip

DLVinvest at cs.com DLVinvest at cs.com
Thu Jun 17 15:33:47 MDT 2004

In a message dated 6/17/04 10:38:40 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
Waistline2 at aol.com writes:
> I have error in writing an article about allowing millionaires into the
> CPC. The article was wrong and it is none of my business in the first place. In
> the second place I would allow millionaires into an authentic revolutionary
> party in the American Union and would hope that they contributed needed funds
> to the cause of revolution.

Well, now we have a real disagreement: We need to study the Chinese
revolutionary process  -- with respect for what the Chinese people have done, which is
the greatest treasure torve of historical experience, including revolution,
for our entire species. We need now to get a clear idea of what they have done,
what they do and don't do that advances the cause of communism.. That includes
what we call errors, or mistakes, or even in some cases "crimes'. In drawing
conclusions as a basis for criticism, in order to clarify our own views and
shape our own practice of what is to be done and how to do it, we need to err on
the side of caution, but we also need to be able to speak freely and openly.

The decision of the Chinese Communist Party to allow capitalists into the
party reflects and confirms the earlier decisions to allow the law of value to
operate more freely, to allow the accumulation of capital in privately owned
enterprises, and to allow newly "alienable" property so accumulated to be bought
and sold as a commodity, including means of production, and passed on by
individuals to their families as part of the transformation of the industrial
bureaucracy (management in state enterprises) into a new form of national
bourgeoisie. How long such a party can remain communist in anything but name is a
legitimate issue for discussion among self-styled Marxists and communists and
workers everywhere precisely because the Chinese experience means so much to the
workingclass as a whole and to the future of our world.

In other words, don't censor yourself in the name of solidarity or for fear
of being called a chauvinist. That will happen even if you're an honest
revolutionary communist black worker and elected union leader (retired). Oh, and
unreconstructed unapologetic Stalinist to boot.

Douglas L. Vaughan, Jr.
Investigations
for Print, Film & Electronic Media
3140 W. 32nd Ave.