[Marxism] ISO's position on Cuba

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 06:35:31 MDT 2004

Does the ISO favor the overthrow of the Cuban government?

In the following excerpt (full link provided below) one
can see that the ISO does favor the overthrow of Cuba's
government. They say they favor the Cuban government's
overthrow ("by the workers", of course), but they really
DO favor its overthrow. Keep in mind that this is the
government which came into power through the revolution.

As a sidelight, the ISO, which says it's not in business
of advising what it refers to as "the Castro regime" how
better to rule, nevertheless complains about how Cuba's
government chooses tactics in opposing US intervention
inside the island. As others on the left did, the ISO,
writing from the safety of its Chicago headquarters,
sharply criticized Cuba's government for arresting the
recipients of and collaborators with Washington latest
destabilization efforts inside the island.

When citing the ISO's position, the link was provided so
interested readers could study the full viewpoint of the
group for themselves. Pointing to a decisive section is
not "selective quoting". Without reposting the entire
ISO position, citing salient quotes isn't "selective"
since it doesn't mis-represent the ISO position. Ones
views toward Cuba continues to be, as Joseph Hansen
put it in 1961, "the acid test", in my opinion.

IN THE ISO'S THEORETICAL MAGAZINE, HECTOR REYES WRITES:
"We believe that it is up to the Cuban working class to
wrestle power away from the bureaucratic ruling class that
runs its country. But this is a fight that is doubly
stacked against it because it not only needs to fight
against its local rulers but it also needs to guard its
back against any attempts by Uncle Sam to dig in its dirty
paws. Cuba's workers will need our support when they move
to challenge their rulers, and also when the U.S. threatens
to use whatever means to regain control over them. If Cuban
workers are to stand up to their regime and to imperialism,
we need to build an anti-imperialist movement in the U.S.
for them to ally with-one that takes a stand against U.S.
designs on Cuba without identifying with the Cuban regime."

READ FULL TEXT HERE:
http://www.isreview.org/issues/30/cuba.shtml

Given this "third camp" perspective, a certain lack of
interest in, and of enthusiasm for the defense of Cuba
flows logically and reasonably. After all, it's little
more than another dictatorial third world regime, though
one worth criticizing more extensively than others. This
may be why the ISO wants its audience to be certain that
the ISO in NO way "identifies" with Cuba's "regime".

Walter Lippmann