[Marxism] Thoughts on Ronald Reagan

DLVinvest at cs.com DLVinvest at cs.com
Wed Jun 9 00:11:50 MDT 2004

In a message dated 6/7/04 3:39:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
Waistline2 at aol.com writes:
> I remember my dad taking me to "Robert Hall" to periodically get a new
> suit, because mother wanted all of us to look good in Church.

Raccoon carcasses...yum! Beats squirrel any day, or possum. I shouldn't joke,
especially because what prompted your comment was Greg's account of how he
came to hate RReagan and his class for what they did to us, but "got to laugh to
keep from cryin'." I can't help it: It's the way we coped with misery (or
should that be "relative immiseration" versus "relative white-privilege" in my
hillbilly childhood. My mom made our clothes until I was old enough to refuse to
wear them and too fast to get hit, or later, strong and mean enough to swat
back. The turning point was when I grabbed the yardstick from her hand and
broke it over my knee and just shook my head "no". She went in the corner and
cried because she knew she had lost me, and my little brother, too, since she
couldn't very well make just one sport coat -- she was efficient and wasted
nothing (she was a Depression child, although relatively privileged even then), and
dressed us boys as if we were twins as much for the effect as the efficiency
of cutting two pieces from the same cloth. Then I started wearing what I could
buy with what little I could earn on my own -- cutting firewood or later, when
we moved from the hollers to a suburb of a mid-size industrial city (Erie,
Pa., big GE plant) mowing lawns, painting houses, sticking our paws into the
sluice of surplus-value that was sloshing down and fishing out the occasional
turd (the treacle-down theory of economics, I called it, when Reagan brought it
back): In other words, not much, and cheap -- but no longer the humility or
humiliation of 'home-made" even though that was actually superior in design,
craftswomanship, tailoring. She was very talented, creative, and could more than
"make do" with what little we had. It was the advertising that sold the image
that wore the clothes that we wanted to buy. Pretty soon, the Robert Hall chain
wasn't good enough either: We outgrew that, too, but not our own conception
of ourselves, the image we had in our heads of what we wanted to look like in
order to impress some girl (any girl!). My Dad said I looked like a "hood"
(a/k/a in sociologese, a "j.d." juvenile delinquent) -- and it took one to know
one -- when I came home from the Thom McCann store with a pair of Cuban-healed
"Beatle boots" with pointy-toes the wops called nigger-stickers.(Racism had
infected us without us even knowing it, and we didn't think anything of it,
thought nothing at all, to say such things unconsciously.) I thought he had paid me
a compliment but he made me take them back because that's what he thought
they were wearing in the ghetto, where we went to drink underage and groove to
Otis "Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa"! Somewhere in the back of the brain, bubbling up from the
limbic system, I can also hear that stupid jingle:

"Robert Hall this season
will show you the reason:
Low overhead,
high quality!"

Pass me a bottle of that goddam Stroh's, Melvin, and I'll buy you and Greg a
shot o' Turkey for thanksgiving, no matter which turkey's elected. And we'll
spit on the bosses' grave together and dance on 'em too if you can get Marvin
Gaye to ride on your ol'man's funky home-made stereo.

Douglas L. Vaughan, Jr.
Investigations
for Print, Film & Electronic Media
3140 W. 32nd Ave.