[Marxism] Jonathan Schell on the DP's prowar stance

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 08:03:02 MDT 2004

>Jonathan Schell, in the forthcoming issue of The Nation, argues that the
>Democratic party has locked itself into continuing the war in Iraq, even
>though its base is in denial and is hoping Kerry's pledge to do so is just
>rhetoric designed to win the election.

This really isn't much of a prediction, is it? For example, from today's

Sen. John Kerry said Friday that if elected he plans to "very significantly"
reduce U.S. troop levels in Iraq within four years, but he declined to
detail his exit strategy.

"If we're at the troop levels we are at today after my term, I would
consider that not having achieved what I expected," the Massachusetts
Democrat said in an interview with Knight Ridder, the day after accepting
his party's presidential nomination. "I'm going to reduce the troop levels
that first term without any question, and I hope very significantly."

URL (contains long encoded name and password to go directly into a site
requiring registration, but the article isn't particularly worth reading, so
don't bother):
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/9289472.htm?ERIGHTS=-3700940279161409776mercurynews::georgebush@whitehouse.gov&KRD_RM=5lqqrqnurpspumsqllllllllmn%7CGeorge%7CY

"Hoping" to reduce troop levels "very significantly" after four years
certainly sounds like a plan to continue the war to me.