[Marxism] Forwarded from Ashley Macdonald

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 23 12:23:16 MDT 2004

(Ashley, you have to post in PLAIN-TEXT. Please contact me or Les
Schaffer if you need assistance.)

While reading Louis's and the others comments on the Myth of the 'Good
War' I was reminded o a few books I recently read on this very subject.

The Myth of the Good War: America in the Second World War by Jacques R.
Pauwels. The author teaches at the University of Western Ontario I
believe and hold PhD's in Political Science and History. The book was
originally published in Dutch, and because of rave-reviews and a large
sale volume it was translated into German, French, Italian and finally
English. I found it to be an interesting discussion of the real reasons
for World War II. This book easily dispells the myth of the valiant
fight against the evil Nazi State and shows the war for what it truly
was and not the myth we have all been told. A write-up on the book can
be found here: http://www.merlinpress.co.uk/merlin/New_titles/myth.htm

Another interesting book comes from Black Rose Books, an Anarchist
publishing collective out of Montreal, and it offers a much more concise
critique of the motives of the leaders of the western Powers and of the
Soviet Union. I personally do nto agree with all of the author
contentions, but it is still an excellent read for anyone interested in
this sibject. The book is titled, The People as Enemy: The Leaders' Real
Agenda in World War II , by John Spritzler, (Black Rose Books, 2003). A
review of the book can be found here:
http://www.commonvoice.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/stratman.htm. the publishers
also have a webpage for this book and it can be found here:
http://www.web.net/blackrosebooks/people.htm

AM
--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org