[Marxism] ILWU Local 10 sponsors Million Worker March -- plaintext of www.millionworkermarch.org

DHE cuibono at rcip.com
Sat Jul 17 16:42:37 MDT 2004

ONLY OUR OWN INDEPENDENT MOBILIZATION OF WORKING PEOPLE ACROSS AMERICA CAN
OPEN THE WAY TO ADDRESSING OUR NEEDS AND OUR AGENDA.

JOIN US, BROTHERS AND SISTERS, IN A HISTORIC MOVEMENT TO RESTORE OUR
DEMOCRACY, SECURE POWER FOR THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF WORKING PEOPLE AND
RESTORE AMERICA.

 Mission Statement || Our Demands || Our Resolution

Thirty-six years ago Martin Luther King, Jr. summoned working people across
America to a Poor Peoples' March on Washington to inaugurate "a war on
poverty at home."

"The United States government," he proclaimed, "is one of the greatest
purveyors of violence in the world ...America is at a crossroads in history
and it is critically important for us as a nation and society to choose a
new path and move on it with resolution and courage"

The crisis facing working people today is even more acute. Under the cover
of systematic lies and deception, wars of devastation have been launched at
the expense of working people everywhere.

In our name, a handful of the rich and powerful corporations have usurped
our government. A corporate and banking oligarchy changes hats and occupies
public office to wage class war on working people. They have captured the
State in their own interests.

The vast majority of working Americans are under siege. Social services and
essential funding for schools, libraries, affordable housing and health care
are slashed and eliminated.

Decent paying jobs are disappearing through outsourcing and privatization
whose real purpose is to break unions and roll back the gains of one hundred
years of struggle.

Sweat shops and starvation wages are imposed on workers across the world and
deployed against workers at home to undermine our jobs and our benefits.

This undisguised class war is waged without restraint against working
families and our children, enforced by anti-labor legislation and decrees,
and by courts serving our exploiters.

The aim of repressive legislation such as the Patriot Act is to terrorize
and suppress the struggles of working people for their rights, and to
destroy democratic control of the economy and of society. The pretext of
enemies afar becomes a smoke screen for repression and autocratic rule.

The time has come to mobilize working people for our own agenda. Let us end
subservience to the power of the privileged few and their monopoly of the
political process in America.

Come together, brothers and sisters. Join The Million Worker March on
Washington as we launch a great movement for social change. Let us forge
together a social, economic and political movement for working people. We
are the many .The secretive and corrupt who control our lives are the
rapacious few.

Let us mobilize together through our unions, labor councils, social and
community organizations, friends and neighbors everywhere. We are on the
move and we shall not be denied.

back to top

We Seek to Secure:

- Universal single-care health care from cradle to grave that ends the
stranglehold of greedy insurance companies and secures health care as a
right of all people in America.

- A national living wage that lifts people permanently out of poverty.

- Protection and enhancement of Social Security immune to privatization.

- Guaranteed pensions that sustain a decent life for all working people.

- The cancellation of all corporate "free" trade agreements, including
NAFTA, MAI and FTAA.

- An end to privatization, contracting out, deregulation and the pitting of
workers against each other across national boundaries in a mad race to the
bottom.

- For workers' right to organize and for a repeal of Taft Hartley and all
anti-labor legislation.

- Funding public education in a crash program to restore our decaying and
abandoned schools with state of the art school facilities in every
community.

- Funding a vast army of teachers to end functional illiteracy in America
and unleash the talent and potential of our abandoned children and adults.

- Launching a national training program in skills and capacities that will
enlist our people in rebuilding our country and putting an end to both the
criminalization of poverty and the prison-industrial complex.

- Rebuilding our decaying inner cities with clean, modern and affordable
housing and eliminating homelessness in America with guaranteed housing and
jobs for all.

- Progressive taxation that increases taxation on corporations and the rich
while providing relief for the working class and poor.

- An end to the poisoning of the atmosphere, soil, water and food supply
with a national emergency program to restore the environment, end global
warming and preserve our endangered eco-system.

- Creating efficient, modern and free mass transit in every city and town.

- Repeal of the Patriot Act, Anti-Terrorism Act and all such repressive
legislation.

- Slash the military budget and recover the trillions of dollars stolen from
our labor to enrich the corporations that profit from war.

- Open the books on the secret budgets of the Pentagon and the intelligence
agencies in the service of corporations and banks and the pursuit of
imperial war on the poor everywhere.

- Extend democracy to our economic structure so that all decisions affecting
the lives of our citizens are made by working people who produce all value
through their labor.

- An aggressive enforcement of all civil rights and a national education
campaign and mobilization against all racist and discriminatory acts in the
work place and in our communities.

- Amnesty for all undocumented workers

- Increase in federal funding for the Arts in public schools

- For a democratic media that allow labor and all voices to be heard and
oppose monopolization and union busting of media workers.

back to top

Whereas: our ancestors fought tirelessly in this country for the right to
organize unions and ensure that our government recognized this right because
it is a cornerstone of democracy, and

Whereas: that because of unions and solidarity among working people we have
been able to win basic human rights, including employer paid health care,
social security and retirement benefits, safe working conditions, decent
hours and wages, education for our children, social services for the
disadvantaged, civil liberties, and most important, the right to political
influence over our nation's foreign and domestic policies, and

Whereas: Franklin D. Roosevelt, in his State of the Union address in 1944
acknowledged our rights, saying, "We have come to the realization of the
fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and
independence. Necessitous men are not free men. People who are hungry and
out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made." and

Whereas: the current administration, with the complicity of congress, has
cooperated with big business in attacking our rights, using legislation such
as the Patriot Acts I and II, denying the right of hundreds of thousands of
Federal employees to belong to unions and bargain, forcing long shore
workers to work under a Taft-Hartley Act injunction and threats of Federal
intervention, and

Whereas: the administration, with the complicity of congress, has negotiated
trade agreements costing the jobs of hundreds of thousands of US workers,
calling this a move towards a healthy economy, while promoting other
economic policies, such as privatization and deregulation which has resulted
in the loss of over 3 million jobs since taking office, and

Whereas: the administration, with the complicity of congress has given
corporations and the wealthy huge tax breaks, while cutting billions of
dollars in spending for social services, education, and other government
programs won by working people through decades of effort, and

Whereas: the Bush administration, with the complicity of congress, has
excused all these policies by using the terrible events of September 11 to
label any opposition unpatriotic and a threat to national security, has
taken our country into an unjust war under the false assertion that Iraq
possessed weapons of mass destruction, costing the lives of hundreds of US
service members and innocent Iraqi civilians, and is whipping up fear and
even further to try to stampede the public into giving it another term in
office,

Be it therefore resolved: that Local 10 of the ILWU calls on unions and
working people generally to go to Washington DC for a Million Worker March,
to demand that politicians and the administration listen to the people who
pay their salaries, rather than the voices of big business and the rich, and
more

Be it further resolved: that this resolution be forwarded to unions, labor
councils and labor organizations, as well as other organizations to which
workers belong, whether organized or not, so that they can take similar
action to organize this March as soon as possible.

Be it finally resolved: that this event coincide with all labor organized
voter registration drives planned for the next election.
-------------------------------------------Learn why we need a Million
Worker March:

Listen to Clarence Thomas of ILWU Local 10 and Ralph Schoenman of Pacifica
Radio explain in detail the causes for and benefits of a Million Worker
march on Washington. This interview was broadcast on KPFA - Guns and Butter
with host Bonnie Faulkner: click here to listen.
--------------------------------
 Audio Resources
Labor News
Local Events
Calendar
About US
Endorsers
 *  CONTACT US

 *  INITIAL REGIONAL CONTACTS

 *  MEDIA
--------------------------

I wholeheartedly endorse this initiative, and will be working to build
support in the Sacramento area.

It is important that the ANSWER coalition, who were not among the initiators
of this action, have now endorsed it. My understanding is that this action
will now become the major fall anti-Iraq War demo.

>From the ANSWER webpage:

 "Sunday, October 17, Washington DC: Million Worker March

According to the Million Worker March Committee, "This mobilization is being
proposed in response to the attacks upon working families in America and the
millions of jobs lost during the Bush administration and with the complicity
of Congress." The march is also calling to Bring the Troops Home Now.

Initiated by The International Longshore and Warehouse Union, Local 10 and
endorsed by many labor, community and activist organizations

The A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition is supporting both of these demonstrations." (The
other being in LA on same date -- dhe)

Clarence Thomas' speech to the Green Party Convention gives rise to another
hope: that the Nader-Camejo Campaign -- in which I've been carrying out some
minor tasks -- and the Calif Green Party (plus P&F & others) will make
support for this initiative an important priority.

Synergistically,

Dan Elliott