[Marxism] Behind 'Fahrenheit 9/11'

Scotlive at aol.com Scotlive at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 16:19:26 MDT 2004

I couldn't agree more.

Some of the intellectual masturbation that goes on in the far-Left speaks to
me of a cult of irrelevancy rather than a forward thinking, strategic movement
leading towards social and economic justice, and hopefully revolution.
However, it is vitally important to recognize where we are at any given point along
the way. Moore's genius, whether he is a full on Marxist or not, is that with
his movie he's potentially planted the first seed of consciousness within
millions of otherwise patriotic Americans. In this alone he's achieved more than
any far-left marxist organization within the US has in decades. We should
understand his movie as a step forward towards where we want to go, rather than as
a flawed vehicle based on some pure and, to the masses, abstract and
irrelevant Marxist doctrine. Marx himself, along with Lenin, Connolly, and other great
thinkers and revolutionaries, recognized the long and torturous process
towards revolution as a spontaneous, unpredictable, sometimes smooth, sometimes
fast, usually painfully slow and ponderous journey.

The first requirement before even setting off on that journey is an ability
to connect with the people you are trying to recruit to your cause and/or
ideology. To do that means you have to engage with them at the political level they
are at, and not at the level you want or expect them to be. To do otherwise
speaks of elitism and intellectual snobbery.

Theory means nothing at this stage in the game. Praxis is everything.