[Marxism] Robert Jensen attack on Fahrenheit 9/11

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Mon Jul 5 15:54:26 MDT 2004

I agree with Lou: I'm not totally comfortable with Moore's film in its
entirety, either. I think Jensen's assertion regarding the depiction of the
Third World nations in the coalition is on target. This also covers my
opinion of his Saudi finger-pointing. And Lou's point is true, although I'd
add the proviso that it became pretty clear in the movie that both
political parties were to blame, although perhaps not in equal measure, as
only Bush and company appeared to have ties to big capital. I don't think
these critiques from the left are pedantry, though. I remember something
Carroll Cox posted recently about the importance of the negation. We do
need to be clear about these things and not just shove them under a rug
because Moore "reaches a lot of people." And I'll still recommend the movie
to folks!

Mike