[Marxism] On the cover of Time Magazine!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 4 16:43:42 MDT 2004

‘I don’t like this film being reduced to Bush vs. Kerry,’ Moore tells
TIME

Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Which Books Films To Be Shown on
Military Bases Around the World, Has Contacted Fahrenheit Distributor to
Book the Film

Sunday, Jul. 04, 2004
New York -- “I don’t like this film being reduced to Bush vs. Kerry,”
Fahrenheit 9/11 director Michael Moore tells TIME’s Richard Corliss in
this week’s cover story. Moore tells TIME, “When Clinton was president I
went after him. And if Kerry’s president, on Day Two I’ll be on him.”

This election year, with stakes and tempers high, a potent non-fiction
genre is emerging: the agit-doc, dealing with high-octane political
issues, often in a confrontational tone, Corliss writes. Trailing on
Moore’s box office clout, they are surging into the mainstream. One
agit-doc, The Hunting of the President, co-directed by Clinton pal Harry
Thomason, was originally to go to 30 theaters; now its distributor has
revved the number to 125, and has put the film’s trailer on many screens
showing Fahrenheit 9/11. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service, which
books films to be shown on military bases around the world, has
contacted Fahrenheit’s distributor to book the film, TIME reports.

“We’ve underestimated the audience’s desire to see (political)
material,” says Robert Greenwald, director of Uncovered: The War on
Iraq, a sober and devastating critique of Bush foreign policy. “I don’t
think it’s about hating the President. It’s that politics has been
brought home to the deepest part of ourselves. People now feel ‘Politics
is Me’.”

Today people get their news and, just as important, their attitudes from
more rambunctious sources: from the polarized polemicists on talk radio
and cable news channels, from comedians and webmasters. That’s
poli-tainment, and as practiced by Rush Limbaugh and a host of
right-wing radio hosts, and by Matt Drudge on the internet, it hounded
Bill Clinton’s presidency while spicing and coarsening the standards of
political discourse, Corliss writes.

Fahrenheit 9/11 may be the watershed event that demonstrates whether the
empire of poli-tainment can have decisive influence on a presidential
campaign, Corliss writes. If it does, we may come to look back on its
hugely successful first week the way we now think of the televised
presidential debate between John Kennedy and Richard Nixon, as a moment
when we grasped for the first time the potential of a mass medium to
affect American politics in new ways. In which case, expect the next
generation of campaign strategists to precede every major election not
only with the traditional TV ad buys but also with a scheme for the
rollout of some thermonuclear book or movie or CD or even video game,
all designed to tilt the political balance just in time, Corliss writes.

Andrew Sullivan asks: Is Michael Moore Actually Mel Gibson’s Alter Ego?
In a related essay, Sullivan writes, “There are times when the far right
and the far left are so close in methodology as to be indistinguishable.
And both movies are not just terrible as movies—crude, boring,
gratuitous; they are also deeply corrosive of the possibility of real
debate and reason in our culture. They replace argument with feeling,
reasoned persuasion with the rawest of group loyalties.”

full: http://www.time.com/time/

--
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org