[Marxism] THE RISE AND FALL OF THE FSLN

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 1 06:18:36 MDT 2004

Thanks for sharing this most interesting analysis of
the Nicaraguan FSLN. I remember Bendaña from his
days with the Nicaraguan foreign ministry. His essay
isn't prefaced with any indication of his political stand
at the present time within Nicaraguan politics.

We've all seen the mess into which Nicaragua has fallen
since the FSLN's electoral defeat in 1990, and its inability
since then to rebuild its standing at the head of the masses
of Nicaragua's oppressed population. It would be helpful to
know what Alejandro  Bendaña is doing WITHIN Nicaragua
to try to turn the situation around.  Does he belong to a
political organization? What does stand does he take on
Nicaraguan domestic issues, and so forth. Does he vote
for the FSLN, making whatever criticisms he might feel
appropriate, does he support another tendency, or does
he stand above the fray just issuing analyses?

It's very easy to criticize others, as I know having done
so myself frequently. It's less easy to create a positive
alternative and to build or rebuild one from scratch and
so I hope that Fred Fuentes will provide some context
to help us understand Alejandro  Bendaña's comments.

Walter Lippmann