[Marxism] THE RISE AND FALL OF THE FSLN

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 1 05:30:38 MDT 2004

Fred Fuentes wrote:
> THE RISE AND  FALL OF THE FSLN
>
> In the 25 years of its existence the FSLN has constantly  struggled
> with contradictions, the weight of state power and the hardships  of
> being an opposition party. But its misappropriation of the
> revolutionary project threatens its very survival.

Bendana is an interesting thinker. When my organization was working in
Nicaragua, he was our "responsable"--in other words liaison--with the
Nicaraguan government. I also found his Harvard PhD dissertation on
Argentina's economic history quite useful.

That being said, I am afraid that his article has a lot of what we call
"monday morning quarterbacking". Someday we'll be in a better position
to assess the FSLN in power. In my opinion, it will rank with the Paris
Commune as an inspiring example of what workers and peasants can do
against all odds. You can still learn a lot from the way that the party
rose to power. What it did in power is another story altogether. It is a
little bit like learning how to learn how to become a surgeon using a
hacksaw and by candlelight.

In recent years, Bendana has become an anti-globalization ideologist
with much in common with my friend Patrick Bond. These guys love to talk
all about challenging capitalism but the thought of seizing power makes
them break out in hives. Here's an article from Bendana waxing
rapturously over the unfortunate World Social Forum:

http://www.quandt.com/bendana.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org