[Marxism] Save a real slow burn for A. Cockburn

Jeff Rubard jeffrubard at fusemail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:44:25 MST 2004

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 09:29:41 -0500
> From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: [Marxism] Marx as Left of the Marxists
> To: Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition
> 	<marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>
> Jurriaan:
>>You should have seen the response to what I wrote ! The infantile,
>>Hitler-Marxists go apeshit. They regard themselves as experts on judging
>>human character, politically or otherwise. How dare I suggest such a
>> thing !
>>Krugman was supposed to be a liberal scourge, a Clintonite arse-licker
>> and
>>what not besides.
>
> Actually the discussion on PEN-L was touched off by Alexander Cockburn's
> observation that:
>
> "Krugman is a press agent, a busker, for Clintonomics. For him as for so
> many others on the liberal side, the world only went bad in January, 2001.
> If a Democrat, pretty much any Democrat conventional enough to win Wall
> Street's approval, takes over again, maybe in 2005, the world will get
> better again."
>
> By Cockburn's standards, this is pretty mild. It is also true.

Lou, I assure you the world did not only go bad in January of 2001; and
although
Paul Krugman is one of our more serious critics of anything (e.g., is on
the lib-lab
circuit telling people that the sky is in fact falling), Cockburn's point
here generalizes
to a certain extent -- Democrats don't need solid left shills and solid
left shills
don't need those guys.

Rubard