[Marxism] Re: Reply to Tom on the meaning of capitalism andstatecapitalism

Mahmood ketabchi mekchi at verizon.net
Mon Dec 13 23:23:34 MST 2004

Tom Wrote:
"I'm also a bit mystified why Jurriaan reacted so strongly to what Mahmood
Ketabchi wrote. Actually, given how long our exchange was, we should be
delighted that anyone read us!"

Thanks for your sympathy!

Tom Wrote:
"Mahmood's argument seems much closer to mine than Jurriaan's, but there is
a danger of one-sidedness."

True, my position is close to yours.  But why one-sided.  Is it one-sided to say that capitalist exploitation occurs outside of realm of market and exchange?  Only private capitalists exploit people? If not, why is it one-sided to say that exploitation can occur also in state owned enterprises?

Tom Wrote:
Also I don't think it's quite right to say that "Whether means of production is owned privately or owned by the state is irrelevant to capitalist production."

Why isn't it quite right? Capitalist production is capitalist exploitation.

Tom Wrote:
"Marx's analysis of exchange, private ownership and the market is necessary to lay the basis for his
discussion of production and exploitation. I think it's essential to understanding state capitalism, too, but one has to work through a number of layers so I won't go into it here."

Ture, Marx talks about all the things that you say. They are all important to analyzing capitalism. That is clear.   That being said, one must be able to grasp Marx's particular way of looking at capitalism, that is, his analysis of capitalist exploitation, production of surplus values and its appropriation.

Marx talks about exchange in the begging of the Capital I, but just to show that it produces no surplus values.  According to him workers get paid for the labor power they sell.  He does not talk about market until in Capital III. He sees no reason to justify his theory of surplus value by first going through capitalist market economy.  Buying and selling produces no surplus value.

And no where Marx says private property ownership is an essential characteristic of capitalist exploitation.  What he says is that capitalist exploitation requires that productive laborer to be separated from the means of production. But, it is irrelevant whether the state owns the means of production or a person or a group of people.

Tom when arguing with Jurrian correctly quotes Marx to refute Jurrians viewpoint. But when it comes to me he gives me some advices not to be one-sided.  Thanks for your advice.  But mixing things up and piling them on top of each other does not help understand Marx. It only obscures Marx's contribution and his criticism of capitalism.  The entire bourgeoisie world is trying suppress and obscure the issue of exploitation as expounded by Marx. Our job as Marxist is to demystify Marx and his contribution and not to create more confusion.