[Marxism] Long article/interview on Arab-American Rapper Will Youmans in SF Gate

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Sun Aug 29 13:38:51 MDT 2004

Great stuff:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22/CMGO87TBMQ1.DTL

The Iron Sheik
Rapper Will Youmans taps into the American minority experience to
address the Palestinian-Israeli conflict

Laila Weir

		Sunday, August 22, 2004
San Francisco Chronicle <http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/>
Chronicle Sections
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22/CMGO87TBMQ1.DTL#sections>

Click to View
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object.cgi?object=/chronicle/pictures/2004/08/22/cm_rapper0010mk.jpg&paper=chronicle&file=CMGO87TBMQ1.DTL&directory=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22&type=news>
Click to View
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object.cgi?object=/chronicle/pictures/2004/08/22/cm_rapper0251mk.jpg&paper=chronicle&file=CMGO87TBMQ1.DTL&directory=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22&type=news>Click
to View
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object.cgi?object=/chronicle/pictures/2004/08/22/cm_rapper0076mk.jpg&paper=chronicle&file=CMGO87TBMQ1.DTL&directory=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22&type=news>
Click to View
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object.cgi?object=/chronicle/pictures/2004/08/22/cm_rapper0049mk.jpg&paper=chronicle&file=CMGO87TBMQ1.DTL&directory=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22&type=news>
graphical line

It's 5 p.m. when Will Youmans and I board a crowded plane at the Oakland
Airport, headed for Los Angeles. We sit in the front row so we can
disembark quickly because he's due to perform at the UCLA law school
soon after we arrive.

His day job is teaching political science at Diablo Valley College in
Pleasant Hill. Onstage, Youmans, 26, is known as the Iron Sheik, a
Palestinian American rapper who tells a story of prejudice that reaches
back to his mother's experience in the Middle East and his childhood in
the United States.

"Whether in Dearborn or in the sticks, I was always dealing with racist
pr -- ," raps the Oakland resident in a song called "Growing Up." "I
remember being called a camel jockey, other kids circled me and tried to
mock me."

Youmans is part of a growing number of young Palestinians, in the United
States and in Israel, using hip-hop and rap to express their
frustrations. Their choice of medium is not accidental. Faced with two
Americas, white and black, many young Palestinians now identify more
with the latter. The title of a book of poems written by Suheir Hammad,
a prominent young Palestinian American artist, sums it up: "Born
Palestinian, Born Black."

These artists document a modern diaspora. The Palestinians are
predominantly Muslim, some Christian and occasionally Jewish Arabs who
are originally from what is now the state of Israel and its occupied
territories. Some of the world's 8.5 million Palestinians live in towns
and refugee camps in the occupied West Bank and Gaza. Others are
dispersed around the world, refugees from the war that established
Israel in 1948, or exiles from the occupied territories. A few remain in
Israel.

The existence of the Palestinian people was denied, forgotten or ignored
for many years, but as other youth remind the world of their existence
by throwing rocks or blowing themselves up, these rappers are making
themselves heard through rhyme. They are self-produced, operating in the
musical underground of live shows and Internet sales -- Youmans'
performances are mostly at university rallies or Arab conferences. He'd
like to reach a wider audience, but says his main goal is to increase
awareness among his peers.

"I'm trying to educate those who don't know [about Palestinians], but do
know about imperialism, colonialism and so on," says Youmans. "At the
same time, I also want Arab Americans to learn their history, the
history of the Palestinian people -- the politics -- and to gain a view
that it's cool to be political, it's OK to speak your mind and speak
truth to power."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22/CMGO87TBMQ1.DTL