[Marxism] MWM: To the International President, ILWU

Rdkrnstdt at aol.com Rdkrnstdt at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 13:20:06 MDT 2004

To: The International President, ILWU
by Henry Graham (President, ILWU Local 10), Clarence Thomas (Co-Chair,
Million Worker March Organizing Committee), Trent Willis (Co-Chair, Million Worker
March)

To: The International President, ILWU

Dear Brother Spinoza,

We are writing to request a meeting with you. As you are aware, the Longshore
Division, by unanimous vote, decided to endorse and support the Million
Worker March, which was initiated by ILWU Local 10. Accordingly, we should
appreciate the support and backing of the International.

We are certainly disappointed by the recent directive from AFL-CIO's Marilyn
Sneiderman, Director of the Field Mobilization Department, concerning the
Million Worker March.

While she expressed AFL-CIO's agreement with many of the aims and issues of
the March, the AFL-CIO is not willing to act upon them and is discouraging
those who are from doing so.

The attempt to deter labor from supporting the March is an affront to every
member of the Longshore Divisionof the ILWU and we believe it deserves a strong
response.

The Call for the March is, in fact, an expression of grass roots organizing
before the national election putting forward our agenda, one certainly not
addressed by the Republican or Democratic Parties.

There is nothing inconsistent with our mobilizing for October 17 and attempts
to dump Bush. We believe, however, that the efforts of the labor movement
have to be focused not only on an election, but, fundamentally, on our survival.

This Memo is not consistent with the guiding principles of the ILWU, which is
rank and file controlled, as expressed in our Longshore Division Caucus.

"The power of the unions comes from the pocketbooks of the rank and file,"
said brother Harry Bridges. It is apparent that the AFL-CIO needs to be
acquainted with our history and traditions.

Full Text at

http://millionworkermarch.org/article.php?id=58