[Marxism] Fw: Bush Invaded Iraq to 'Secure Israel,' Says Sen. Hollings

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 21 10:14:00 MDT 2004

Adam Levenstein wrote:

> --- Dan Elliott <cuibono at rcip.com> wrote:
> >
> > Bush Invaded Iraq to 'Secure Israel,' Says Sen. Hollings (Aug 20)
> >
> > By Mark Weber
>
> I thought that name sounded familiar, then I saw his email address:
>
> > Mark Weber (weber at ihr.org).
>
> Mark Weber is one of the leading voices of Holocaust denial in the US.

In the light of this, it would be interesting to compare Weber's
quotations from Hollings with their total context in both the newspaper
column and the Senate speech. I was bothered by some of the emphases in
Weber's post when I first read it -- particularly the emphasis on
re-election as Bush's motive. That emphasis (a) separates the Iraq War
from its ultimate context in u.s. imperialism and (b) tends towards an
over-emphasis on the power of the Zionist lobby in the U.S. and thereby
diverts from exploring the willingness (even anxiousness) of the u.s.
ruling class over the decades to support Israel.

If really important sectors of the ruling class and their political
allies wished to resist the Zionist lobbies, they would not have all
that much difficulty in doing so. The apparent success of AIPAC probably
reflects not so much its own power but rather the fact that ruling
figures would _for their own motives_ support Israel whether AIPAC
existed or not!

But part of Hollings's speech has another interest: his insistence that
the Iraq War was a mistake! There may well be enough disillusionment re
the war among sectors of the ruling class that, if we can build a large
and militant anti-war movement, we will find ourselves pushing against
an unlocked door!

Carrol

Carrol