[Marxism] Clarifying the term "petty bourgeoisie"?

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Thu Aug 12 20:54:39 MDT 2004

Walter is correct, I think, in this assessment.  "Petty bourgeois" is
largely a pseudo-social term, the meaning of which is almost entirely
arbitrary.  The last century has seen the virtual destruction of the
historic middle class, the growth of white-collar labor, and
proletarianization of the professions.

I'm sure there is a petty bourgeoisie, but mostly I think it's the
people who cut me off in traffic when I'm on my way somewhere.

As a tool of political analysis, it's value tends to be merde.

Best,
MArk