I QUIT

David McInerney davidmci at coombs.anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 2 19:19:29 MST 1996

Uncle Lou,

I hope that you realise that I was not directing any of this at you
personally.  But I remain very puzzled as to why the number of "co-mods" on
a supposedly "undomerated" list kept increasing.  It seems extremely
counterproductive, as none of the co-mods can stop from saying whatever I
like on l*st.  It provides a pretext for crazies like Jerry to go on the
rampage over "l*st purpose".

The purpose of this list as I see it is -- (1) discussion of Marxist
theory; (2) Marxist analysis of certain concrete situations of
political-strategic importance; (3) discussion of appropriate strategies,
forms of political organisation etc in order to achieve the overthrow of
bourgeois hegemony and the smashing of the bourgeois state in order to
achieve communism.  (in no particular order)

I have always taken this to be obvious.  I consider these three aspects to
be closely intertwined -- therefore we do not need "splitism" (to use a
somewhat tired CPI(M) turn of phrase) on the l*st.  Each thread should be
able to stand or fall as it may.  I consider Marxism, as historical
materialism, to have an object, the class struggle, which can and must be
studied in all of its dimensions as a guide to revolutionary practice.  I
consider the Marxist practice in philosophy as being the defence of a
consistent materialist position -- i.e. one that is compatible with
historical materialism.  It is the class strugggle in theory -- obviously
it does not exhaust the class struggle, although some academics seem to act
as if it does.

I'm sorry to all the "MS posse" who think I am "old-fashioned", rejecting
analytical Marxism or whatever.  I don't care.  There is only one thing we
should care about here -- the *class struggle.*  It seems to me that,
whatever other flaws Louis or any of the other anti-MS crew may have, at
least they remembered the class struggle (oh no, I'm sounding a bit Maoist
here).  But I don't want to buy into such debates (thanks Justin).  I am a
busy boy at the moment.

I apologise for screaming at everyone via the l*st with my upper-case type,
but I am sure that may subscribers have been thinking to themselves -- "if
I see one more post by Jerry, or in reply to Jerry, on some garbage about
the way discussion is conducted on the l*st, I'M GONNA SCREAM!"
AAAAARGH!!!!  I've done it now, and I feel better.

I personally thought that the seminar on fascism was a good idea.  If any
one (other than Jerry) REALLY thinks it sensored other threads, all I can
say is -- WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES!  This l*st is unmoderated in reality.
Uncle Lou didn't force Adam or anyone else to shut their cyber-mouths.  If
such a thing were possible, then I would personally have intervened to shut
Jerry's mouth every time he tried to pick a fight.

I know that Jerry is very capable.  He could be contributing to this l*st
something very positive instead of just static.  This list is unmoderated.
Co-mods, shut up.  People complaining about l*st purpose, shut up.
Remember the class struggle, oppose splitism.  The real enemy is there
somewhere, remember.

I'm with you Lou -- lets return to Marxism.  That is what this l*st is
about.  It is not a workshop on how to run a l*st.

Comradely,

David McInerney.

P.S.  Apologies to anyone who is unable to follow Rahul's conversation with
me on Indian nationalism.  Rahul has suggested that it should remain on the
l*st, so as to promote an interest in India on the l*st.  I think this is a
good idea.  Everyone else can just read the posts if they like.  I have a
great deal of trouble following detailed posts on the Americas, Europe, and
basically most places outside of my region (Asia and Australasia).  I read
them, but I don't often feel able to contribute.  This is ok.  We are
broadening our knowledge base.  This is the reason why I didn't discuss
Italy and Germany in relation to the fascism discussions much.  I am
largely ignorant of the details of these movements at anything more complex
that general knowledge.  On the Comintern I know a bit about its operations
in Asia and that's it.  So I'll stick to what I can talk about.  There will
be many threads if everyone took the approach of just bringing up issues
that the think are important and seeing if anyone else joins in rather than
joining in on threads just to attack people that annoy them.