moderation, list purpose

David McInerney davidmci at coombs.anu.edu.au
Thu Feb 1 16:00:57 MST 1996

This discussion on different (practical vs. theoretical) aspects of the
l*st is really shitting me off.  One of the reasons that I subscribed to
this this in the first place was that there was a *variety* of very
different threads going on at once.  At the moment there are two major
threads which *dominate* the list, both of which I delete because the
volume of material in them is just too great to keep up with.  Thety are
the "to be MS or not to be MS" thread and the "Jerry doesn't love Louis"
thread (otherwise known as moderation, list purpose".  All other threads
seem to have disappeared due to lack of discussion.  The very small thread
on Indian nationalism and its historiography ("Spivak and the Subaltern")
is still there, but the fascism thread has disappeared into the "Jerry
doesn't love Louis" thread.  I for one am sick of deleting 100 messages a
day.  Rahul, I will get back to you on the Indian nationalism thread.  The
question is, should we continue to pursue this discussion via the list, or
should we conduct it personally?  Should I have to sift through one message
after another on "list purpose" to find some real content?

THIS LIST WAS FORMERLY "UN-MODERATED" (WHEN JON WAS THE MAIN
"NON-MODERATOR").  IT WORKED MUCH BETTER THAT WAY. "UN-MODERATION" HAS
BECOME A VERY SAD JOKE.  PULL YOUR HEADS IN EVERYONE.

Mr. David McInerney,
Political Science Program, Research School of Social Sciences,
The Australian National University, Canberra, A.C.T., AUSTRALIA  0200.
e-mail: davidmci at coombs.anu.edu.au; ph: (06) 249 2134; fax: (06) 249 3051