Getting away with murder -Reply

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 10 11:21:58 MDT 1995

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995 TimW333521 at aol.com wrote:

> And, let's face one other ingredient:  both men were probably guilty!  (see
> Scott Mclemee's excellent piece on Mumia in the recent In These Times).

Louis:
Another reason to hate "In these Times". James Weinstein has used the
pages of this vanity publication to assert the guilt of the Rosenbergs as
well. Who next? Sacco and Vanzetti?

The whole thrust of the Mumia, OJ Simpson, Rosenberg, Sacco and Vanzetti
trials is their total disregard of impartiality. In each case, the
prosecution and judge worked together to railroad the defendants. This is why
black people welcome OJ's acquittal. It was one step in the direction of
redressing judicial malfeasance. Nobody on the left has made a big issue
out of OJ's innocence. Who in the world was ITT polemicizing against? The
big question for leftists is not the innocence or guilt of OJ Simpson, as
it would be in the other cases enumerated above, it is rather the conduct
of the LA police and DA's office. These institutions have been oppressing
Chicanos and blacks for decades now and the OJ verdict might spell some
relief. For a good dramatic insight into these questions, I recommend the
excellent "Devil in a Blue Dress".