Bean, Bauer, etc., right-wing ties?

Christopher Gunn 1k1mgm at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Sat Dec 16 14:48:44 MST 1995

As long as I'm inflicting questions on the list, I may as well go for a
hat trick....

I seem to remember reading (on this list?) a few months ago about
explicit, far-right connections maintained by one of those outdoorsy,
chest-thumper clothing retailers:  L. L. Bean, Eddie Bauer, Herters, etc.
Does this ring bells with anybody?

My interest has to do with the recent incident on the East Coast where
friendly Eddie Bauer rent-a-cops ripped the shirt off a black kid when
he couldn't produce a receipt, and the company subsequently defended
the action (until the multi-million dollar lawsuit got filed, at which point
they got real apologetic...), as well as a few petty local incidents that
have got my attention.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kit Gunn, Univ. of Kansas

Christopher Gunn                Molecular Graphics and Modeling Laboratory
1k1mgm at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu       University of Kansas
Phone: 913-864-4428 or -4495    Malott Hall
                                Lawrence, KS  66045