Guilt of the KPD/ Schuld der KPD

Adam Rose adam at pmel.com
Mon Dec 11 04:29:25 MST 1995

Adam:
It coincided with two factors : First, and most importantly, Stalin decided
that Nazi Germany could become a threat to the USSR, so the priority became
an alliance with the West against Germany; Second, ordinary CP members were
genuinely worried about Fascism and something had to be done to satisfy them.
For instance, in France in 1936, many CP members simply ignored the party
instructions to keep the factory occupations in check. Of course, when these
two pressures conflicted the first won out, as the later Pact with Hitler
showed. But at this time, the CP's generally were "class struggle parties"
( to use Louis' phrase ) despite their Stalinist politics ( except perhaps
in Spain ).

Adam Rose
SWP
Manchester