Youngstown & the Poets

EsaDavis at bitstream.mpls.mn.us EsaDavis at bitstream.mpls.mn.us
Thu Dec 7 06:42:12 MST 1995

>I once played Billy Bragg's version of The People's Flag for an Intro to Soc
>class as a way of illustrating how music can serve to energize people and
>form a common experience, frame of reference. Such common experience is a
>potential source of common understanding and communication. Next time you're

>down on the shop floor, try telling the guys and gals how Coltrane's
i>nnovations relate to their own experience of alienation and resistance.
While,
>this can be done (they might enjoy it), it would be a lot easier to start
from
>Springsteen.
     Brian.

Since I've been thinking about fascism, on the shop floor I'm listening to
Dimitri Shostakovitch's String Quartet No. 8 in C Minor and the Seventh and
Eight Symphonies. And in the String Quartet when there is that knocking on
the door, it's not the militias on the other side.

Regards,
Esa Davis