Blake

Chris, London 100423.2040 at compuserve.com
Sat Dec 2 00:06:35 MST 1995

I was delighted to see Jeff's poems by Blake.
Although I liked Ralph's act in commemorating his birthday, the
particular poem on its own seemed to me bland, and not the Blake I
know. Jeff's choice was much more for me the poet, who, with all his
complications and weaknesses, was in the front line spiritually
at the birth of industrial capitalism.

Glad too, to be on the same side as Jeff on this one. How strange
that culture should provide such instant links across political
differences.

BTW, I was so wrapped up in the poems I returned to Peter, I forgot
to say, I too, was quoting Gerard Manley Hopkins, SJ, who chose
as honestly he could, another way, to be in the front line.

Chris, London.