[A-List] The Fall of the US Empire

Todd Boyle toddfboyle at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 21:29:12 MST 2010

Same as Hedges.   "I am old, and I am a graybeard.  I believe the US
will collapse in a sharp and sudden way."

Undoubtedly, they are both towering figures and authorities, even geniuses.

I still would like to see the reasoning, why the collapse of power
over colonies necessarily results in a precipitous crisis in the
imperial power.   I will even concede, there might be a sort of
colonial sphere, albeit thin and tenuous anyplace other than the
pacific islands and major garrison states having no national identity
or political establishment (this might include Kosovo, Iraq, maybe
Panama, some carribbean. But excludes Japan and Korea, and any
western European power from the concept of Empire.)

I suspect that there isn't any substance at all, to the "American
Empire" other than the actual military colonies.  There are still,
"alliances" with companies like Australia and England, that aren't
really countries.  But this reinforces the point that the "empire" is
a transnational thing.  It is not the U.S. nation ore people driving
this thing.  It is global capitalism.

So, Hedges and Galtung need to establish, not only their proposition
that GLOBAL capitalism is collapsing but that it will be sudden and
precipitous (rather than just continuling to decay and suck real bad,
worse and worse, for decades into the future).   I think it just
continues to suck, and get worse.

Todd