[A-List] Howard Zinn on Obama win

Leighm the.buffalo.in.the.midst at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 15:17:27 MST 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
> Obama's Historic Victory
> by Howard Zinn
> http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/19384
>
> "Those of us on the Left who have criticized Obama, as I have, for his
> failure to take bold positions on the war and on the economy, must
> join the exultation of those Americans, black and white, who shouted
> and wept Tuesday night as they were informed that Barack Obama had won
> the presidential election.

The folks around THESE parts celebrated by driving their SUVs and cars
around the city shouting honking and waving for the better part of the
night.

Most watched the election results roll in on big screen TVs at local
bars where the cheering at each result sounded no different than the NFL
playoffs as their unattended children ran around shouting Obama!
Obama!... programmed for the last so-many months by their neo-liberal
parents  to a name, an image, an idea of 'Change' that does not seem to
yet exist, nor has been voiced in any coherent way by the new
presidential face-on-the-block.

The celebration is premature, and history?

History will be the judge.