[A-List] MNN Indigenous Objection to Theft of "Arctic Region" of Turtle Island

usman x sandinista at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 30 02:01:54 MST 2006

http://friendsofgrassynarrows.com/item.php?508F
posted by macho on Sunday, January 29th at 10:07 PM

Public Notice of Obkjection to Attempted Usurpation of Indigenous
Jurisdiction Known as the “Arctic Region” of Turtle Island by the United
States, Canada, Denmark and any Other Nation, Corporation, Foreign Federal,
State or Provence “Governance” Agencies and All “Outsiders” and
Non-Indigenous Interests

DATE: January 28, 2006

FROM: Women Title Holders of the Kanion’ke:haka Nation

According to Wampum 44 of our law, the Kaianereh’ko:wa, the Women Title
Holders are the “progenitors of the soil” of Turtle Island. We are the
Caretakers of the land, water and air of Turtle Island. We are notifying you
and the International Forum of Nations of our constitutional jurisdiction in
our land that is being violated. Re: Non-Indigenous invasion of Indigenous
constitutional jurisdiction of Arctic Region of Turtle Island by Canada,
United States, Denmark and other outside entities

TO: Canada; United States; Denmark; Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II;
Governor General of Canada; all Provinces of Canada; President of United
States; Department of Justice Canada; U.S. Department of Justice; Attorney
General of Canada; U.S. Attorney General; Department of Indian Affairs,
Department of Interior; Stock Exchanges Toronto, Montreal, New York, London.
Tokyo, Hong Kong and Zurich; The Pentagon; U.S. Army and Navy; European
Union; Department of Defense Canada; Canada Steamship Lines; others listed
at end (Addresses at end of Public Notice).

OBJECTION TO: The invasion of Indigenous constitutional jurisdiction by
Canada, United States, Denmark, their affiliates and all outside
non-indigenous entities who are presently attempting to usurp the northern
region of Turtle Island. Canada is fighting a turf war with Denmark over the
“barren” Hans Island in the Arctic, and U.S. submarines have surfaced in the
far north. Canada, United States, Denmark or any other corporations have no
claim over this area which belongs to the Indigenous people of Turtle
Island. We demand that you cease and desist immediately your invasion and
exploitation of Indigenous territory and its people.

This turf war over the Arctic Region is a violation of our customs,
practices and occupational jurisdiction. Modern international law seeks to
protect small peoples from incursions by aggressive states who use military
and economic force to impose their culture on others. According to both the
Canadian constitution and the American constitution those states cannot
simply appropriate our land, resources and territorial waters. Indigenous
people never surrendered our rights. The Western Sahara case makes it very
clear that a territory cannot be incorporated in another state without the
informed consent of the majority of its people. This requirement has not
been met.

Neither Canada, the United States nor Denmark has authority to extend
colonial authority or jurisdiction over us. Any past agreements or treaties
have been limited to allowing foreign settlers to live peacefully on our
land.

According to our agreements with Canada and the United States, any American,
Canadian, Danish or other foreigner wishing to enter our territory for any
reason whatsoever must deal with us through their state representative. No
individual or foreign entity can invite outsiders onto our territory.

The Women Title Holders have the authority to safeguard our land for the
coming generations. We have always defended our right to self-determination.
We continue to do this now that the right to self-determination is
recognized as a universal human right.

Canada, United States and Denmark never consulted us nor asked us for our
consent to enter our Arctic waters and territory.

This dispute between Canada, United States and Denmark over our territory,
waters and resources has overlooked our rights. The colonial custom of
appropriating the sources of indigenous sustenance is resulting in the
genocide of many indigenous people and destroying the entire world
environment for everybody. Mother Earth is already badly scarred and yet you
have not modified your behavior.

We demand that you to leave aside your colonial habits of the past. Move
into the 21st Century in a way that respects our equal rights and common
humanity.

We are registering our objection to this illegal assumption of jurisdiction
by Canada, United States, Denmark and their agents. In Canada we took an
action in the Supreme Court of Canada – Kanion’ke:haka Kaianereh’ko:wa Kanon
’ses:neh v. Attorney General of Canada and Her Majesty the Queen in Right of
Ontario, Court File: 05-CV-030785.

We brought this constitutional jurisdiction issue before the U.S. Supreme
Court. See No. 05-165: 2005. In The Supreme Court of the United States In re
Kanion’ke:haka Kaianereh’ko:wa Kanon’ses:neh, Non-party,
Petitioner/Movant/Appellant, The Canadian St. Regis Band of Mohawk Indians,
Plaintiffs, Respondents, v. The State of New York, Defendants, Respondents.
Petition for Writs of Certiorari and Quo Warranto with Prohibition and
Mandamus in Aid to Prevent Genocide. Rules 17.1 and 20.1.

Whereas:

1. Jurisdiction over our ter­ritory now called the “Arctic” and beyond,
belongs to the Indigenous People of Turtle Island.

2. Canada, United States and Denmark must respect that relations with us
shall be con­ducted on a nation-to-nation basis.

3. Canada and the United States never made a treaty of cession with the
Indigenous People for the Arctic. Contact can only be with the
constitutional Indigenous people to deal with this issue.

4. The denial of a nation’s exis­tence constitutes genocide, according to
the many international covenants that Canada, United States and Denmark have
pledged to uphold;

Therefore:

5. We demand that Canada, United States and Denmark and their corporate
bodies and associates immediately cease and desist their illegal assumption
of jurisdiction or presence in any way, shape or form on our territory, the
Arctic.

6. Finally, we demand to be officially informed of how international,
federal, state and provincial entities can violate international law and the
rule of law by superseding our jurisdiction over territory that we never
surrendered through a treaty or any means whatsoever.

By Kanion’ke:haka Women Title Holders

Kahentinetha, Bear Clan /s/_________________________

Katenies /s/ ___________________________

P.O. Box 991, Kahnawake of Mohawk Territory (Quebec, Canada) J0L 1B0
kahentinetha2 at yahoo.com

Sent to:

-Hon. Stephen Harper, Prime Minister, Government of Canada, Parliament
Buildings, Ottawa Canadaharper.s at parl.gc.ca pm at pm.gc.ca; Bloc Quebecois,
Parliament Buildings, Ottawa Canada Duceppe.g at parl.gc.ca; Jack Layton, New
Democratic Party, 279 Laurier Ave., Ottawa Canada K1P 5J9
layton.j at parl.gc.ca; Liberal Party of Canada, Dalton McGuinty, Premier.
Legislative Building, Queen's Park, Toronto ON M7A 1A1
Dalton.McGuinty at premier.gov.on.ca;Attorney General of Ontario, Royal
Canadian Mounted Police, 1200 Vanier Parkway, Ottawa Canada K1A 0R2
mclelland.a at parl.gc.ca; Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada,
House of Commons, Ottawa Canada K1A 0A6 onbox at psepc.gc.ca; Minister of
Defense Canada, Major Gen. George R. Pearkes Bldg., 101 Col. By Drive,
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0K2 graham.b at gc.ca; Department of Justice Canada;
Attorney General of Canada; Department of Indian Affairs; Hon. Paul Okalik,
Premier, Government of Nunavut, Iqaluit NU Canada; Government of Yukon, Box
2703, Whitehorse, Yukon Canada Y1A 2C6 information at gov.yk.ca; NWT

-George Bush, President of United States, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington
DC 20500 president at whitehouse.gov; David Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense, The
Pentagon, Headquarters of the U.S. Department of Defense
president at whitehouse.gov; -Andrew S. Eristoff, Commissioner, New York State
Department of Taxation, W.A. Harriman Campus, Albany, NY 12227-0155
aeristoff at tax.state.ny.us; -Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, U.S.
Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC 20530-0001
askdoj at usdoj.gov;Gail Norton, and George Skibine, Department of the
Interior, 1849 C St., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20240 webteam at ios.doi.gov;
Tracey S. Toubu, Director, Office of Tribal Justice, United States
Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington DC 20530
202-514-8812 Fax 202-514-9078 AskDOJ at usdoj.gov; U.S. Congress
askben at gpo.gov; Ralph Seekins, Justice Minister, Government of Alaska
senatorralphseekins at legis.state.ak.us

-U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, webmaster at usace.army.mil; The United States
Army, 1500 Army Pentagon, Washington DC 20310-1500; The U.S. Navy, 1200 Navy
Pentagon, Room 4B463, Washington DC 20350-1200; Central Intelligence Agency,
Office of Public Affairs, Washington DC 20505

-Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Buckingham Palace, London SQ1A UK
press at royalcollection.org.uk; Governor General of Canada, Mme. Michaelle
Jean, info at gg.ca

-President Anders Fogh Masmussen, Denmark, Christiansborg – Prins Jortgens
Gard 11 – 1218 Copenhagen K, Denmark stm at stm.dk; Minister of Defense,
Denmark, Forsvarsministeriet, Holmens Kanal 42, 1060 Kobenhavn K fmn at fmn.dk;
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Denmark, The Permanent Mission of Denmark to
the United States, One Dag Hammerskjold Plaza, 885 Second Ave., 18th Fl.,
New York 10017 USA nycmis at um.dk; Mr. Javier Solana, Secretary-General of the
Council of the European Union, Rue de la Loi, 175 B-1048 Bruxelles
public.info at consilium.eu.int press.office at consilium.eu.int

-Bono, DATA, 1400 Eye St., N.W., Suite 1125, Washington DC 20005

-Canada Steam Ship Lines, Headquarters, 759 Square Victoria, Montreal,
Quebec Canada H2Y 2K3 ships at cslmtl.com smitcham at cslmtl.com
wmorrison at cslhfx.com marcgir at mb.sympatico.ca; Royal Canadian Military
Institute, 426 University Ave., Toronto ON Canada M5G 1S9 president at rcmi.org

-Toronto Stock Exchange TSX Inc., queries at tsxdatalinx.com; Montreal Stock
Exchange/Bourse de Montreal Inc. P.O. Box 61, 800 Victoria Sq., Montreal
Quebec H4Z 1A9 info at m-x.ca; Board of Directors, %The Corporate Secretary,
New York Stock Exchange Incorporated, 11 Wall Street, New York, 10005 Fax
212-656-3939 corpsecy at nyse.com; Kathleen Chu, Tokyo Stock Exchange,
schu2 at bloomberg.net, pcadvisor_letters at idg.com; Ann Moulier, London Stock
Exchange, 10 Paternoster Sq., London UK EC4M 7LS
internet-team at londonstockexchange.com; Hong Kong Stock Exchange, 12/F One
International Finance Center, 1 Harborview St., Central Hong Kong
info at hkex.com.hk bjo at hkex.com.hk; -SAM Indexes Gmgh, DJSI, Seefeldstrasse
215, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland, info at sustainability-indexes.com

-Iroquois Caucus; Mohawk Council of Kanehsatake bonspille.b at ysmpatico.ca;
Six Nations Council; Chiefs, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Inc., 412 State Route
37, Akwesasne (New York) 13655 518-358-3203; Mohawk Council of Akwesasne,
P.O. Box 579, Cornwall, Ontario K6H 5T3; -Mohawk Council of Kahnawake, P.O.
Box 720, Kahnawake of Mohawk Territory, (Quebec) J0L 1B0; Mohawks of the Bay
of Quinte, R.R. 1, Tyendinaga of Mohawk Territory, Ontario 613-396-3424 Fax
613-396-3627; Cayuga Nation of Indians Inc., P.O. Box 11, Versailles, NY
14168 F 716-532-5417; Seneca Nation of Indians, Allegany Reservation, P.O.
Box 231, Salamanca, NY 14779 F 716-945-1790; Cattaraugus Reservation, 1490
Route 438, Irving NY 14081 F 716-532-9132; Oneida Indian Nation of New York
Inc., 223 Genesee St., Oneida NY 13421 F 315-361-6333; Onondaga Nation, Rte.
11A, Box 229, Nedrow, NY 13120, T 315-492-3041; Tonawanda Band of Senecas
(Tonawanda Seneca Nation), 7027 Meadville Rd., Basom NY 14013 T
716-542-4244; Tuscarora Indian Nation, 2006 Mt. Hope Rd., Lewiston NY 14092
T 716-297-4990; Mohawk Nation Council of Chiefs Mohawkna at slic.com, Box 366,
Rooseveltown, NY F 518-358-3488; Kanatsiohareke, 4934 State Hwy. 5, Fonda NY
12068 kanatsio at superior.net; Oneida Nation, RR 2, Southwold, Ont. N0L 2G0 T
518-652-5414; Kanion’ke:haka Kaianereh’ko:wa Kanon’ses:ne, P.O. Box 1016,
Akwesasne (NYS) 13655 katenies20 at yahoo.com ;

Organization of American States, 17th St. & Constitution NW, Washington DC
20006 multimedia at oas.org; World Trade Organization, Palais Eynard, Hotel
municipal, 4 rue de la Croix-Rouge, 1211 Geneve 3, Switzerland
webmaster at ville-ge.ch; International Labor Organization, RELOFF at ilo.org;
International Maritime Organization, 4 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7SR UK
media at imo.org; North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Blvd. Leopold III, 111-
Brussels, Belgium natodoc at hq.nato.int;

-UN Office of High Commission for Human Rights, UN Plaza, S. 294, New York,
10017; tb-petitions at ohchr.org 1503 at ohchr.org InfoDesk at ohchr.org; Rudolpho
Stavenhagen, International Commission for Human Rights, P.O. Box 16,
CH-1211, Geneva 20, Switzerland; Coalition for the International Criminal
Court, %WFM, 708 3rd Ave., 24th Floor, New York (NYS) 10017,
cicc at iccnow.org; The Hague, Anna Paulownastraat 103, 251 BBC, The
Netherlands t: +31-70-363-4484 F: +31-70-364-0259; Pope Benedictine XVI,
Joseph Ratzinger, St. Peter’s Square, Vatican City, Rome, Italy; Shiva
Vanadana vshiva at giasdl01.net.in; UN Forum for Indigenous Peoples, Room
DC2-1772, New York 10017 IndigenousPermanentForum at un.org

-World Intellectual Property Organization, 34 Chemin de Colombettes, Geneva
information.center at wito.int; International Monetary Fund, 700 19th St., NW,
Washington DC 20431, F 202-623-4661 lelgislative affairs
mschrader at imf.org; -World Trade Organization, Mike Moore, 154 rue de
Lausanne 1211, Geneva 21 Switzerland info at gatt.org; World Bank, 1818 H St
NW, Washington DC 20433 USA f 202-477-6391 hotline at worldbank.org; William K.
Suter, Clerk, S upreme Court of the United States, 1 First St., NE,
Washington DC 20543-0001

Greenpeace International, Ottho Heldringstraat 5, 1066 AZ Amsterdam, The
Netherlands supporter.services at int.greenpeace.org; GreenParty
info at greenarty.ca; Ducks Unlimited, One Waterfowl Way, Memphis, Tennessee
38120 gpatterson at ducks.org lhouseal at ducks.org vtyler at ducks.org
ajones at ducks.org; Sierra Legal Defence Fund

-Amre M. Moussa, Arab League, Mr. Chavez, President of Venezuela; Mr. Evo
Gonzales, President of Bolivia; Government of Israel; Government of
Palestine; DeBeers Diamonds; Exxon; British Petroleum; Shell Oil; Petro
Canada; Forestry industries in Canada; Fisheries industries in Canada;

COECO Friends of the Earth-Costa Rica prsj2cr at sol.racsa.co.cr ; ISODEC/third
World Network-Africa WAPPIAH at ighmail.com; Western Shonone Defense Project
wsdp at igc.org; JATAM/Mining Advocacy Network jatam at jakarta.wasantara.net.id;
Federation of Rondas Campesinas of Northern Peru
ferocafe at net.telematic.com.pe; Minewatch Asia/Mining Communities Development
Center bongcorpuz at phil.gn.apc.org; Mineral Policy Center
mpc at mineralpolicy.org; Mineral Policy Institute inform at mpl.org.au;
MiningWatch Canada mwc at magma.ca; Goldbusters RRosenhek at aol.com;
Environmental Mining Council of British Columbia emcbc at miningwatch.org;
Project Underground project_underground at moles.org;

---------------------
Prospero, you are the master of illusion.
Lying is your trademark.
And you have lied so much to me
(lied about the world, lied about me)
that you have ended by imposing on me
an image of myself.
underdeveloped, you brand me, inferior,
That ís the way you have forced me to see myself
I detest that image!  What's more, it's a lie!
But now I know you, you old cancer,
and I know myself as well.
- Caliban, in Aime Cesaire's "The Tempest"
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/margins-to-centre