[A-List] More on China-Africa

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 24 23:28:43 MST 2006

<>China’s Arms Sales
Motivations and Implications

By: Daniel Byman, Roger Cliff

A Rand Book

China’s arms sales have become the focus of considerable attention and
pose a moderate threat to U.S. interests. Although Chinese sales have
fallen in recent years, and Beijing has become more responsible in the
transfer of nuclear, biological, and chemical (NBC) technologies, much
progress will be needed to curtail China’s behavior. Principal
recipients of Chinese arms have been Iran, Iraq, Myanmar, North Korea,
Pakistan, and Thailand. These countries and others seek Chinese weapons
because they are available, cheap, and easy to use and maintain. In
addition to missiles, the Chinese are willing to transfer NBC
technology. The United States and other countries do have a modest
ability to influence Chinese behavior, and China has increasingly wished
to be viewed as a responsible world nation. The analysis supports three
major findings about China’s arms sale behavior: (1) China’s arms
transfers not motivated primarily to generate export earnings but by
foreign policy considerations; (2) China’s government has more control
over transfers than some have reported: its weapons export system is
quite centralized; and (3) China’s adherence to international
nonproliferation norms is in fact increasing. Nevertheless, Washington
must hedge against the likelihood of sales and develop offsets in
concert with allies.

As for your disinformation about Chinese arms sale to Ethiopian and
Eritrea, taking the NY Times as your source is sufficient reason to dismiss.

A report by GlobalSecurity.org, on
Ethiopia / Eritrea War
did not have a single refernce to alleged Chinese arms sale the either
Eithopia or Eritrea.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/eritrea.htm
Gobalsecurity is a defense think tanks and no freind of China

China Welcomes Ethiopia-Eritrea Peace Accord
People's Daily Dec 13, 2000

China is pleased with and welcomes the signing of a comprehensive peace
agreement by Ethiopia and Eritrea on Tuesday in Algiers, Algeria
<http://www.peopledaily.com.cn/english/data/Algeria.html>, said a
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman.

Spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue made the remark on Wednesday, December 13, when
asked to comment on the matter.

She said that thanks to the active mediation of parties concerned within
the international community, Ethiopia and Eritrea signed the peace
agreement on Tuesday in Algiers, ending a two-year border conflict and
hostility between the two neighboring countries.

"This will not only be conducive to the construction and development of
their respective countries, and will also benefit peace, stability,
security and development in the Horn of Africa and the continent as a
whole," Zhang said.

"We heartily rejoice at and welcome the development," she said.

China expresses appreciation for and congratulates the international
community, especially the Organization of African Unity (OAU), on their
unremitting efforts to peacefully settle the conflict over the past two
years, she said.

"We sincerely hope that with the help of OAU and the United Nations, the
two countries, in the spirit of reconciliation and mutual understanding
and compromise, will earnestly implement the accord, so as to seek a
final and peaceful settlement of their border dispute at an early date,"
she added.

China will, as always, join the international community to work to help
the two countries settle the territorial dispute and realize lasting
peace, Zhang said.

      Peace Treaty Signed

Ethiopia and Eritrea formally ended their two-year war on Tuesday,
December 12, signing a peace agreement that halts a conflict over a
barren patch of land that left tens of thousands dead.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi and Eritrean President Isaias
Afwerki signed the accord before a crowd of applauding diplomats, many
of whom participated in the peace process.

The signing, held at a government-owned resort outside the Algerian
capital of Algiers, was attended by UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and
US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

US President Clinton, traveling in Ireland, sent his congratulations.
"My relief and happiness on this occasion mirrors the sadness I felt
when I witnessed two allies and friends embroiled in a tragic conflict,"
he said.

"To the people of Ethiopia and Eritrea, I say the hope and promise of
this day is yours," Albright told the gathering, adding, "May today"s
peace last long in your children"s future."