[A-List] A view from India

mdriscoll at earthlink.net mdriscoll at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 19 17:43:38 MST 2006

Henry C.K. Liu,
I for one would regret it if you stopped commenting on China on this list.
I have learned much from your contributions. I have no hard and fast
conclusions,  I and others on the list plainly do not know enough about it.
Burkett and Hart-Landsberg have an assessment which they base on  evidence
available to them, as I assume does Patrick Bond. At the same time, I
assume that you may have access to information on China on which you base
your assertions, which others may not have. We have all learned not to take
at face value the pronouncements of any government spokespersons, but to
look beyond those statements to the record of their actions.

I would be most interested in what you would have to say about China's
implementation of its national policies of cooperation, and documentation
for your statement that its transactions are "so far not profitable for
China", and "not conducted for private profit.", with examples that are not
just "anecdotal" evidence but also verifiable statistical or other
processed data as illustration.

If someone with your perspective cannot come up with this kind of
countering evidence, what are we to conclude when it is maintained that
China transacts in Africa, whether it's the government or
government-supported private entrepeneurs who are acting, in the manner we
have learned that all agents in the highly competitive setting on a world
scale of capital accumulation act, on pain of failure?

Ralph