[A-List] Rep Ron Paul (R-TX) Speech: The End of Dollar Hegemony

Michael Hudson michael.hudson at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 19 13:07:04 MST 2006

Dear All,
    As my name has come up in the discussion, I want to make clear that the
term dollar hegemony is indeed Henry's. We both agree on the process that I
began to trace back in the early 1970s, and warned about almost as soon as
it began -- as it was obvious that if central banks didn't have gold to buy,
the only alternative was U.S. Treasury bills. Hence my fairly neutral,
technical term "treasury-bill standard." Dollar hegemony has the added moral
emphasis that helps put a term into circulation as "brand identification"
for the process.
    Both Henry's and my geopolitical analysis go far beyond the technical
aspect itself. The counterpart to dollar hegemony, from my point of view, is
the seemingly idiotic weakness of European governments and central bankers
throughout the world in not seeing the fact that they never will be repaid
for their dollar holdings. The system transmutes into a worse and worse deal
for the rest of the world each year.
    We need all the allies we can get, and all the elaboration we can get in
tracing how this process operates.
    Michael Hudson