[A-List] only five?

James Daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 15 09:03:01 MST 2006

Zimbabwe angrily rejects Bush's remarks
Thu 2 February 2006

HARARE - The Zimbabwe government sounded defiant yesterday after being
listed by United States (US) President George W Bush among governments
oppressing their people, with State Security Minister Didymus Mutasa
labelling the US president a bully and a warmonger.

In his annual State of the Union address delivered on Tuesday, Bush
cited Zimbabwe among five countries that denied their people freedom
and said the demands of justice and world peace required that the US
and the rest of the free world not forget the plight of those living
under dictatorship.

The other countries that Bush said did not have democracy are Syria,
Burma, North Korea, and Iran.

DIDYMUS Mutasa . . . we are not moved by Bush's statement

"At the start of 2006, more than half the people of our world live in
democratic nations. And we do not forget the other half - in places
like Syria, Burma, Zimbabwe, North Korea, and Iran - because the
demands of justice, and the peace of this world, require their freedom
as well," the world's most powerful President said.

But Mutasa, one of the most powerful and closest confidantes of
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, said Harare was unmoved by Bush's
comments and accused the US leader of behaving like a bully.

Mutasa said: "We should not and cannot allow warmongers like Bush to
tarnish the image of paragons of peace and democracy like President
Mugabe. We are not moved by his statements. If anything, we are proud
that we are not an ally of the neo-colonialist Bush, whom I can only
describe as a bully."

The Harare government opposed Bush's war against terror and often
tries to portray itself as a victim of the US the same way Saddam
Hussein's Baghdad administration was victimised over weapons of mass
destruction which turned out it did not have.

On the other hand, Washington has strongly criticised Mugabe and his
ruling ZANU PF party for their failure to uphold the rule of law,
human rights and democracy.

The US has led Western nations in imposing travel and economic
sanctions against Mugabe and his top officials as punishment for their
poor human rights record. Washington has also cut all non-humanitarian
aid to Harare. - ZimOnline