[A-List] David Barsamian interview with Arundhati Roy

Richard Menec menecraj at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 31 10:03:05 MST 2004

David Barsamian interview with Arundhati Roy

Arundhati Roy:
I’VE ONLY been in the United States for three days now, and I obviously have
felt the electricity in the air about the coming election. Just in May, we
had a very important election in India. I think one of the dangers that we
face is that politics becomes a discussion only about personalities, and we
forget that the system is in place, and it doesn’t matter all that much who
is piloting the machine. So as I said in my talk at the American
Sociological Association in San Francisco, this whole fierce debate about
the Democrats and the Republicans and whether Bush or Kerry is better is
like being asked to choose a detergent. Whether you choose Tide or Ivory
Snow, they’re both owned by Procter & Gamble.

Full: http://www.isreview.org/issues/38/Arundhati_roy.shtml