[A-List] Jack Straw: Beslan hostage-takers and Nazism are alike

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 27 06:55:35 MDT 2004

viveka wrote:
> I would as well.   Rick does not just cross post articles, but carefully
> groups them together, making it easy on the rest of us who cannot or just do
> not take the time to surf the net.

But these articles have an editorial intention, namely to legitimize an
exterminationist war against Chechnya.

Here's one of his pieces of rubbish that ended up on Marxmail, courtesy
of David Quarter:

http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?prd_id=160&msg_id=4814496&startrow=1&date=2004-09-06&do_alert=0

Russian Information Agency (Novosti)
September 6, 2004

SCHOOL TERRORISTS GOT ORDERS FROM ABROAD: PUTIN'S
ADVISER

-Aslanbek Aslakhanov, a Chechen, was on the site
throughout the tragedy, and contacted the gang on the
telephone. "The men were certainly not Chechens. When
I spoke Chechen with them, they said they couldn't
make out a word. 'Speak Russian,' they told me.

MOSCOW - Terrorists who seized a school in North
Ossetia's Beslan, September 1, were receiving orders
from abroad throughout the three suspense-laden days,
says Aslanbek Aslakhanov, President Vladimir Putin's
adviser for North Caucasian affairs.

"The men had their conversations not within Russia but
with other countries. They were led on a leash. Our
self-styled friends have been working for several
decades, I deem, to dismember Russia. They are doing a
huge, really titanic job. It's clear as daylight that
those people are coming up as puppeteers and are
financing terror," he said to the Rossia television
company, national Channel Two, tonight.

full: http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2004w36/msg00031.htm

In other words, the Russian government has concocted its own war on
terror using the propaganda themes of the Bush administration. It is not
"radical" to back Putin because he was once a member of the KGB, for
whatever that's worth, and it is not radical to put a minus everywhere
the USA puts a plus. For example, just because the USA condemns the
Sudanese government and the Janjaweed, this does not mean that we should
take the opposite side.

We only make ourselves appear foolishly dogmatic to those who do not
already belong to our church. For some people, this matters little. It
matters a lot to me.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org